Submitted by Suganya Hariharan
About the cook:
About the dish: A south Indian style chicken curry recipe packed full of spices and flavor. Madras is a city in Tamilnadu (state), India now renamed Chennai. I can say this is Madras chicken curry because I am from the same city, and I love my city and this dish.
National Origin: INDIAN
Estimated Time: Under 30 Minutes
Chicken breast – 250 gms, no skin, cut into small bite sizes
Oil – 1.5 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilli whole – 2, broken
Curry leaves - 10
Garlic – 4, chopped finely
Ginger – 1 inch, chopped finely
Red Onion medium – 1, chopped finely
Tomato medium – 1, chopped finely
Green chilli – 1, slit
CHilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Fennel powder – ½ tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – ¼ tsp
Yogurt – 1 tbsp (optional)
Coriander – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
Salt – as needed
1. Take a pan and add oil on medium flame, add cumin seeds and dried red chilli, and when their color changes, add garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. When the garlic softens, add onions.
2. After the onion is sautéed well, add the chopped tomatoes with turmeric powder. Mix well.
3. Wait one minute and add the remaining spices. Sauté well for 2 mins till it oozes out some oil.
4. Add the chicken and yogurt, keep it on medium-low flame and mix well. Close it with the lid and let the chicken cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add some coriander and mix well. See if the consistency is good for you, switch off and serve.