Submitted by Karista Bennett
About the cook: I'm a freelance food writer, photographer and blogger living in the beautiful state of Oregon. I publish the website www.karistaskitchen.com and you can find me on Instagram @lifearoundmytable.
About the dish: Fresh summer blueberries are lightly sautéed and then combined with a kiss of aromatics. Then I drizzle them over the grilled flank steak and finish the dish with tangy bleu cheese.
National Origin: American
Estimated Time: Under 30 Minutes
2 ½-3lbs Flank Steak, pounded out a bit with a meat mallet
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ghee or 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups fresh blueberries
¼ cup finely diced shallots (about one small-medium shallot)
1 glove garlic, minced
¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
¼ cup cilantro leaves
3-4 ounces crumbled bleu cheese (I adore a smoked bleu cheese with the blueberries)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the grill to 425F.
2. Brush the flank steak with the olive oil. Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and then season both sides of the flank steak with the spice mixture.
3. Once the grill is hot, place the flank steak on the grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes per side for medium rare. I like to cook my flank steak to about 130-135F internal temp.
4. Once the steak is done, transfer the steak to a large cutting board and let it rest. While the steak is resting, heat the ghee or butter/olive oil until it’s melted and hot, but not sizzling.
5. Add the diced shallots and let them cook for about one minute then add the blueberries and garlic and sauté for one minute longer. Then take the pan off the heat and stir in the sliced scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Thinly slice the flank steak and place it on a serving platter. Pour the warm blueberries over the steak and then garnish with crumbled bleu cheese and fresh cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.