Submitted by David Inloes
About the cook: I am a retired Broadway dancer who became interested in food during my travel through out the world. I am a self taught amateur home cook who enjoys entering the occasional contest. Enjoy the dish I have created!
About the dish: I wanted to create a dish that was casual yet impressive. The risotto is lighter than usual but still has deep, layers of flavor. The juicy, tangy chicken breast makes this a perfect week night meal.
National Origin: Italian
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 Hours
2 cups –Fresh Squeezed Ruby Grapefruit Juice
1 teaspoon –Sugar
1 tablespoon –Grated Fresh Ginger
¼ cup –Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar
Juice of 1 Lemon
Zest of 2 Lemons, divided
2 sprigs –Fresh Tarragon
5½ cups –Chicken Stock, divided
2-3 large –Bone-in Chicken Breasts
3 tablespoons –Olive Oil, divided
2 tablespoons –Unsalted Butter
2 cups –Arborio Rice
1 cup –Heavy Cream
1 tablespoon –Ruby Grapefruit Zest
1 teaspoon –Fresh Tarragon, chopped
½ cup –Grated Pecorino Romano
1 Lemon, segmented
½ Rudy Grapefruit, segmented
Salt and White Pepper, to taste
1. In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the ruby grapefruit juice, sugar, ginger, vinegar, lemon juice, zest from 1 lemon, and tarragon sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes or until mixture has reduced to ¾ cup. Remove from heat and discard tarragon stems.
2. Place 2 cups of the chicken stock in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and reduce to ¾ cup. Stir in half of the grapefruit mixture and reduce heat to low to keep warm. Set the other half of grapefruit mixture aside for glazing chicken.
3. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Salt and pepper chicken breast. In a large oven proof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken breast, skin side down and cook until skin has crisped. Turn chicken breasts over and brush skin with grapefruit glaze and finish in the oven until cooked through. Remove from oven and brush with more glaze. Cover loosely and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. While chicken is finishing in the oven, in a medium saucepan, heat 3 ½ cups chicken stock over medium heat and bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low. In another medium saucepan, set over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter. Add the rice; sauté 1 minute. Add 1 cup of chicken stock, cooking until almost evaporated; stirring frequently. Add remaining chicken stock, 1 cup at a time until absorbed after each addition until rice is tender but still al dente, about 20 minutes. In a small saucepan set over medium heat combine the cream, zest from 1 lemon, grapefruit zest, and tarragon; heat until cream just begins to simmer. Add cream mixture to rice and cook until rice it no longer al dente. Remove from heat and stir in Pecorino Romano, lemon and grapefruit segments until segments begin to break apart; salt and white pepper to taste.
6. Remove chicken breasts from the bone, slice and serve over citrus risotto and drizzle with grapefruit glaze-chicken stock sauce.