Submitted by David Inloes
About the cook: I am a retired Broadway dancer who became interested in food during my travels through out the world. I am a self taught amateur home cook who enjoys entering the occasional recipe contest. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
About the dish: Looking for a quick, easy go to recipe then this is the one. Packed with flavor it will soon become a weeknight favorite
National Origin: Asian
Estimated Time: Under 30 Minutes
1 15.5 ounce can –Black Beans
2 tablespoons –Olive Oil
8 –Boneless Chicken Thighs, about 2 pounds
1 –Medium Onion, chopped
1 teaspoon –Fresh Grated Ginger
4 tablespoons –Black Bean Sauce with garlic*
1 cup –Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons –Soy Sauce*
2 tablespoons –Oyster Sauce*
3 tablespoons –Corn Starch
1 cup –Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
1 cup –Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 8 ounce can –Sliced Water Chestnuts, drained
1 bag –Thin Rice Noodles*
½ cup –Roasted Peanuts, chopped
½ cup –Scallions, thin sliced on the bias
*items can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
1. Over a medium bowl, strain the black beans with a mesh strainer reserving liquid; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy sauté pan. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and brown in oil; remove to a sheet pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and cook onion until just tender. Add ginger and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the black bean sauce and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until very fragrant. Deglaze the pan with the strained black bean liquid and chicken stock, scraping up brown bits and bean sauces. Add chicken thighs and any juices that may have accumulated and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover loosely and simmer until chicken is just cooked through; about 15-18 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, and corn starch: stir until smooth. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in the black beans, mushrooms, red bell pepper, and water chestnuts; keep warm
4. In a large heat proof bowl, pour boiling water over the rice noodles and let sit 10 minutes; drain well.
5. Divide noodles between bowls. Spoon sauce over noodles and top with chicken thighs and some more sauce. Garnish with peanuts and scallions