Submitted by Maiah Miller
About the cook: I’m a fitness instructor in Southern California with a love of plant-based foods and healthy recipes. My taste-testers are my husband and twin daughters, and this one is a family favorite!
About the dish: This cake is deceivingly healthy; it contains no refined sugar, dairy, gluten or soy. You would never know though; the texture is amazing and melts in your mouth. I created this cake for a dinner party, but now it's become a go-to for celebrating birthdays and anniversaries!
National Origin: American
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 Hours
1/2 cup plant-based milk (coconut, almond, etc)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup melted and slightly cooled coconut oil
1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1-1/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 tsp maca powder (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
sprinkle of sea salt
Organic powdered sugar
extra vanilla extract
1. Trace an 8″ pan on parchment paper, cut out and lay in the bottom of the pan, then spritz with nonstick spray.
2. Preheat oven to 325F.
3. Whisk coconut milk and apple cider vinegar then sit aside to curdle.
4. After a few minutes, add in all the other wet ingredients, then sift in the dry.
5. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack then invert and cool.
6. Serve plain, dusted with organic powdered sugar or with organic vegan frosting (coconut butter whipped with vanilla extract and organic powdered sugar and nondairy milk until the desired consistency is reached). Frost sparingly on cooled cake.
7. Garnish with fresh pesticide-free roses or organic dried rose buds if desired.