Submitted by Juliana Palmcook
About the cook: My name is Juliana and I have been happily married over 13 years. I love to knit, sew, write, draw and create recipes. I love spending time with my family and friends. We started our own charity where we help expectant moms in need from making deliveries to attending baby showers.
About the dish: Ready to Roll and Take Potato Cake My savory potato cake is modeled after cake rolls that are made in a jelly roll pan. However my cake was made in 15x10x1 inch cookie sheet and it came out perfect. This potato cake has the sweet and savory flavors of cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon and chives rolled in a tasty baked potato cake roll. It is ready to take!
National Origin: America
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 Hours
6 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1/8 cup butter
2 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
2 cups of sour cream
1 -8oz package of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
10 strips of pre-cooked bacon
12 long chives
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain and place potatoes in a large bowl.
3. On medium-high speed beat potatoes with; butter, milk, salt, vegetable oil,eggs and baking powder. Slowly mix in flour until and thick and slightly sticky batter forms.
4. Line a 15x10x1 inch cookie sheet with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
5. Spread potato cake batter evenly on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and lay a clean dish towel on a flat surface. Flip the cake with the wax paper on the dish towel. Remove wax paper and roll the cake with the towel into a spiral.
7. Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
8. In the meanwhile in a medium bowl, mix sour cream with cream cheese.
9. Take potato cake roll out of the refrigerator and unroll. Spread the sour cream mixture on top of cake.
10. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of sour cream. Layer 10 strips of bacon and the chives across the cake.
11. Re-roll cake and place on serving dish or carry out container. Refrigerate for a 2-4 more hours before slicing and serving.