Submitted by Rajani Warrier
About the cook: My name is Rajani. I love cooking and serving, having a husband who appreciates all cuisines and flavors has only helped me push my passion! Indian food is my forte.
About the dish: This stir-fry is modified by my mother by adding Potatoes to the otherwise plain only-Raw Banana dish, commonly devoured in the southern part of India.
National Origin: Indian
Estimated Time: Under 30 Minutes
Oil – 2 tbsp
Raw Banana – 2
Potato – 1 medium
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1 generous pinch
Green Chillies – 2 (mom style) or Pepper powder – 1 tsp (mom-in-law style) --- either works fine for me – in the recipe and in life
Curry Leaves – 5-6
1) Cut the banana and potato into equal sized cubes.
2) Take oil in kadai/pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start to crackle add urad dal – adding this later because it browns very quickly.
3) Add curry leaves, green chillies (if using) and asafoetida; and immediately add the cut raw bananas and potatoes. I just hate the way oil splutters and throws itself all over the world when curry leaves are thrown into it. So sometimes I avoid putting it at this stage, instead put it after the veggies.
4) Add salt and pepper (if using) to the veggies and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then mix and let it cook without the lid, that will help fry well.
5) Taste test for salt and rawness. Better if you taste the potato, that will make you feel confident and happy about the whole day ahead.
6) Serve as a side with dal-rice, sambhar-rice.
Raw Banana and Potato stir-fry is a very modest side dish and you will definitely enjoy it. Especially the crispy parts of potato and banana stuck to the kadai saved from burning by mixing at the right time.