Japanese Mayo-burg, Mayo Potato Au Gratin
Submitted by Yoshiharu Sogi
About the cook: I have 35 years of experience in the food and hospitality industry. I received culinary training at culinary school in Japan and France. After I graduated school, I trained at restaurant in Lyon, France rated one star of Michelin Guide and fine dining restaurant in Tokyo. In 2001 I was certified wine diploma from Japan Sommeliers Association and Society of Wine Educators of America. After that, currently I live in California from 2002. I worked in Japanese restaurant, American Italian restaurant, Resort hotel, Seafood restaurant, Country club restaurant and Wine and Food Pairing restaurant.
About the dish: Hamburg (not Hamburger) is a Japanese favorite cuisine everyone knows.
National Origin: Japanese
Estimated Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
2 pounds Ground Beef
3 Eggs for Mayo-burg
1 teaspoon Salt
½ cup Bread crumbs
½ teaspoon Nutmeg, ground
½ teaspoon Black pepper, ground
3 oz Mayonnaise for Mayo-burg
12 oz Onion for Mayo-burg, chopped
4 Eggs for fried eggs
2 pieces Large Potato
½ Onion for potato au gratin, sliced
4 oz Mushroom, sliced
½ cup Mayonnaise for potato au gratin
1 teaspoon Vegetable oil
½ cup Ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 tablespoon Butter
2 oz Broccoli florets
2 oz Baby Carrot, peeled
4 each Dinner Bread
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. In mixing bowl, set ground beef then add salt, nutmeg and black pepper to mix.
2. Add Mayonnaise, Eggs, bread crumb and onion then knead to mix well. Divide for 4 even then make oval shape.
3. Preheat oven 350℉, rinse potato with water, wrap with plastic film then cook in micro wave oven until cooked through. Peel skin then set into another mixing bowl to mash lightly.
4. Heat pan on medium heat, cook mushroom and onion with vegetable oil then transfer into bowl which potato set.
5. Season with salt and pepper, add mayonnaise to mix then transfer into oven pan to bake until nice brown surface and hot enough inside. Take out from oven and save in warm spot on range.
6. Cook Mayo -burg in pan which cooked onion and mushroom with cover until cooked through.
7. In small sauce pan, combine ketchup, Worcestershire and soy sauce then boil lightly.
8. Preheat cast iron on low heat. Transfer Mayo-burg on iron from cooking pan, take extra grease out from cooking pan then add butter to cook carrots and broccoli florets. Salt and pepper to season.
9. Cook fried eggs in pan as your preferred temperature.
10. Place potato au gratin, carrot, broccoli and dinner roll on iron, put fried egg, pour sauce on Mayo-burg to serve.