CRANBERRY GRANOLA DELIGHTS
Submitted by CHRISTINE SAROIAN
About the cook: Recently, my chef mentor, my 83 yr old mother, told me that I should continue to make these bars and to enter my recipe in a contest. I entitled the recipe "Cranberry Granola Delights", because they are fairly healthy at 118 calories apiece.
About the dish: These are "healthy but heavenly" granola bars made with coconut oil and coconut sugar. My 83 yr old mother encouraged me to enter this recipe in a contest, so I am giving it a go! Each bar is 118 calories, has 6.3 g total fat, 4.2 g saturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 11.5 g total carbohydrate, 0.7 g dietary fiber, 4.5 g total sugars, and 1.9 g protein. You can substitute dried cherries and lemon rind for the cranberries and orange. You could also try different sweeteners, depending on your preference. You can also prepare ahead, double wrap, and freeze.
National Origin: American
Estimated Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
6 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp orange juice
1 1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup sour cream (or light sour cream or greek yogurt, any type)
1/2 cup baking Stevia
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F.
2. Grease 11 x 7 -inch baking pan with cooking spray or rub lightly with coconut oil.
3. Combine flour, oats, sugars, baking soda and cinnamon, stirring well.
4. Drizzle coconut oil and orange juice over flour mixture, stirring until moist and crumbly.
5. RESERVE 1/2 cup of oat mixture and set aside.
6. Press remainder of mixture into prepared pan.
7. Combine filling ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well.
8. Spread cranberry mixture over prepared crust.
9. Sprinkle reserve OAT mixture evenly over the filling.
10. Bake at 325 deg F. oven for 40 min or until edges are golden.
11. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Makes 24.