Submitted by Chanel Ligon
About the cook: I am a New York City native who is currently studying medicine. I love to cook and try new recipes and mix different types of flavors.
About the dish: A southern classic shrimp and grits that warm your heart and soul.
National Origin: Southern-American
Estimated Time: Under 30 Minutes
2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 tablespoons of butter
3 slices of bacon chopped
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
0.5 lbs of de-veined shrimp
3 garlic cloves finely minced
0.5 cups of scallions
2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup of white sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups of chicken stock
0.5 cups of traditional grits
1. Bring chicken stock to a boil and add grits and salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Cover with lid.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes occasionally stirring
3. While grits are cooking, in a large pan saute bacon until crisp and remove.
4. Add shrimp to the same large pan and cook until pink.
5. Add lemon juice, scallions, garlic, parsley and removed bacon back to the pan with the shrimp and saute for 2.5 minutes.
6. Once grits are cooked, add butter and cheese.
7. Place grits in a bowl and top with shrimp mixture.