Submitted by Elizabeth Grenesko
About the cook: I like to try any new recipe in the kitchen. I have a cat named Mr. Floofy, he is my best friend.
About the dish: A tasty unique fall comfort pie!
National Origin: Swedish
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 Hours
- [ ] Half of a small/medium cooking pumpkin
- [ ] 1tbs butter
- [ ] Dash of pepper
- [ ] Medium onion
- [ ] 1tbs oil
- [ ] 2 8oz white fish fillets
- [ ] 1-2tbs oil
- [ ] 1tbs garlic
- [ ] Dash of salt/pepper
- [ ] 1-2tbs butter
- [ ] 2tbs butter
- [ ] 2tbs flour
- [ ] Pinch of salt/pepper
- [ ] 1 cup milk
- [ ] 1 cup frozen peas
- [ ] 1 can black olives
- [ ] 2 pre-made pie crusts
- [ ] 1 egg
- [ ] 1tbs milk
1. Cut cooking pumpkin in half, then cut 1 half of cooking pumpkin into 5-8 pieces.
2. Arrange on a microwave safe plate, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave 4 minutes, or until flesh is soft and mashable.
3. Scoop innards of each piece into a mixing bowl. Mash with fork.
4. Dice onion.
5. Caramelize onion with 1tbs oil.
6. Mix onion into mashed pumpkin.
7. Dice half a can of black olives.
8. Mix diced black olives into onion/pumpkin mixture.
9. Sear 2 fish fillets in 1-2tbs oil. 4 minutes non-skin side, 4 minutes skin side. At 1 minute in, cooking the skin side, add 2tbs butter, 1tbs garlic, salt, pepper. Use a spoon to rub melted butter/garlic over the fish.
10. Once fish is cooked, add 1 cup milk and let simmer 10 minutes.
11. After simmering, separate fish into its own mixing bowl. Separate milk into cup for later use.
12. Melt 2tbs butter, low heat.
13. Whisk 2tbs flour into melted butter.
14. Once mixed, whisk in strained milk (use milk from simmering earlier, step 11) Add more milk as necessary to create a medium consistency, then turn off heat.
15. Add mixture to the bowl of flaked fish.
16. Add frozen peas to flaked fish mixture.
17. Layer pumpkin mixture 1st in a 9×9 glass pan. Layer fish mixture 2nd.
18. Cut pie crust to size and cut decorations.
19. Layer pie crust 3rd with egg wash between each crust layer so the design sticks.
20. Decorate with black olives cut in half.
21. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.