Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Submitted by Katie Hughes
About the cook: I'm Katie and i'm a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist from Long Island, NY with a passion for cooking and baking. I work at an outpatient clinic where I provide nutrition counseling for men and women who were 9/11 first responders. With a background in teaching cooking classes, I love to create recipes that are healthy, budget friendly, and delicious!
About the dish: Ever since I was a kid, I loved to bake. My passion for culinary arts and nutrition definitely stem from my love of creativity in the kitchen. I have had this recipe written down on a looseleaf sheet of paper for as long as I remember. It's my go-to for breakfast, dessert, or holiday gatherings. The healthy swaps like whole wheat flour and egg whites, as well as the use of real bananas are what make this recipe wonderful!
National Origin: American
Estimated Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
1.5 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp salt,
1 tsp cinnamon,
2 mashed bananas (ripe bananas preferred),
2 egg whites,
1/4 cup canola oil,
1 tsp pure vanilla extract,
1/2 cup sugar,
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice (I prefer dark chocolate)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon). Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mash the bananas well with a fork. Add the sugar, oil, egg whites, vanilla, and almond milk and mix well to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (you can no longer see any dry flour). Once combined, add chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into prepared bread loaf pan and bake in oven for 35 minutes. (Depending on the size of your loaf pan, baking time may vary between 35-40 minutes. The loaf should be a nice golden color and a tooth pick should come out clean). Enjoy!
*This recipe can easily be made in a KitchenAid if available*