Submitted by Madeline McWhorter
About the cook: Hi, my name is Madeline. I currently work as a caregiver at an elephant sanctuary, but cooking has always been a passion of mine. I grew up cooking with my mom and grandma, especially starting when I was 11, after my mom returned from her deployment in the Middle East. Cooking was a way for us to re-connect and allow my mom to re-familiarize herself with our kitchen. Cooking has always been one of my greatest joys in life, and to this day when I visit my family, one of the first things we talk about is "what are we going to cook?!"
About the dish: This recipe is perfect for your Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday! These tacos are so filling and flavorful, you won't even miss the meat!
National Origin: Mexican
Estimated Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
2 medium russet or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tbl olive oil
1 bunch sliced green onions
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 Tbl chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp paprika
Kosher salt, to taste
12 corn tortillas
Juice of 1/2 lime
Garnishes: Greek yogurt (omit for a vegan dish), lime wedges, cilantro leaves, sliced avocado
1. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occassionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost done.
2. Add the jalapeño, spices, half the green onions (reserving the rest for garnish), and season with salt to taste.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are soft and everything is warmed through.
4. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in a clean damp kitchen towel (or paper towels) and place on a microwave-safe plate. Heat on high in microwave in 30-sec intervals until warm.
5. Add lime juice to filling, and turn off heat.
6. Serve garnishes, tortillas, and fillings family style, and let everyone build their own taco!