Submitted by Pamela Shank
About the cook: I am a retired RN, wife, mother and grandmother to 15. I have been creating recipes and entering contests since 2006, and honored to have won many. I have been a finalist 3 times in the Pillsbury Bake-off Contest, and have recipes published in magazines, cookbooks, and on-line. I have also taught Kids Healthy Snack Workshops for the WV State PTA, done cooking demos for the Women's Club and presentations to other community organizations.
About the dish: This frittata is loaded with eggs, meats, cheese, and veggies, then baked in a mini cast iron skillet. They make any breakfast a special event.
National Origin: American
Estimated Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
1/2 lb ground sausage, crumbled and browned
1/2 cup ham cubes, chopped small
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 green onion, diced
4 baby spinach leaves, chopped
6 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (or desired amount)
1/2 cup half and half
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 roma tomato chopped
baby spinach leaves to garnish
hot sauce to drizzle if desired
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray (4) mini cast iron skillets (3.5 inch) with no stick cooking spray. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
2. Divide the sausage and ham evenly between the skillets.
3. Top each skillet with equal amounts of the red and green peppers, onion, and spinach leaves.
4. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and half and half. Pour mixture into a mixing cup and carefully pour equal amounts into each skillet. Top with cheese in the center.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until eggs are set.
6. Remove from the oven. Top with crumbled bacon. Allow to set about 5 minutes.Run a flat knife along the outside edge of skillet to remove from the pan.
7. Serve in mini skillet or transfer to a plate and garnish with tomatoes and spinach leaves. Drizzle additional hot sauce if desired.
8. Makes 4 mini skillets.